
'Snob'. The very word turns my guts. I never, ever thought of it as a word that would be used to describe me.
At the beginning of this year, I made a decision to read only "quality" literature, or books deemed by others to be "the classics", rather than wasting my time reading trashy romance novels from which I could learn nothing.
Upon making this pact with myself, I began to look down my nose at the books that my friends and family often read, e.g. The Twilight Saga and books by mainstream authors such as Philippa Gregory and Marian Keyes. Why would they read that trash when they could be educating themselves and broadening their intellectual horizons as I intended to do?
As this narcissistic notion passed through my mind, it dawned upon me that I had become a total snob. Not in the bratty, posh sense of the word, but because of my disregard for the tastes and preferred culture of those around me.
The literature and assorted media that we each choose to consume and cite as our favourite needn't depend on the opinions of others towards it. Whether we read for further education, an escape from reality or pure vicarious enjoyment, the choice is ours and ours alone.
I have since stopped condemning others for their choice of reading material, no matter how unappealing it may seem to me.
P.S. I'm in love with Edward Cullen.
No comments:
Post a Comment